GOODWILL MESSAGE BY T. K. AKINWUNMI ON THE OCCASION OF THE 10TH ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF LASCOFIS LTD. HELD ON 28TH JANUARY, 2016.
I would have loved to be in your midst this morning for the 10th Annual General Meeting of Lagos State Cooperative Finance and Investment which is my baby and was conceived during my tenure as the President of LASCOFED. I have however authorized any of the Vice Presidents of LASCOFED to deliver this goodwill message on my behalf.
I commend the outgoing Executives for sustaining the name LASCOFIS. As the pioneer President of this society, I would be failing in my duty as an Elder statesman in the Cooperative Movement if I do not draw the attention of stakeholders to the aims and objectives and laid down rules for the operation of this society which was set up to assist the downtrodden cooperators and cooperative societies financially.
- Members of LASCOFIS are drawn across the state by virtue of shareholding in the business. Consequently, zonal AGMs are supposed to be held prior to the Annual General Meeting. It is at such zonal AGMs that representatives who would constitute the Board are elected.
- Elected officers and members of the Board must have a minimum of 500,000units of shares.
- Key positions in the society should be occupied by cooperators whose investments or society’s investments are substantial.
- Non-members of the Board should not be members of any committee of the Board. However, professionals can be engaged for consultancy services.
- Tenure and conduct of election into various offices should be in accordance with the provisions of the bye-laws.
Finally, let me re-emphasize that service in LASCOFIS is service to humanity. Therefore, anyone aspiring to serve on the Board should be ready to serve humanity.
Once more, I congratulate you all for this AGM and I wish the Cooperative Movement of Lagos State more productive years ahead.
Thank you and God bless you all.
Pa T. K. Akinwunmi